- The Library will own and utilize central iTunes/iCloud, and Volume Purchasing Program accounts, for purchasing library funded apps. The iPad will require the use of a personal iTunes account for downloading free apps, and other functions. This account may require the use of a personal credit card or PayPal account.
- All iPads will be required to have the Find My iPad function activated on their personal iCloud account for tracking in the event of the device being lost or stolen. Information Technology Services (IT Services) will verify this during setup. It requires location services to remain active at all times (except where prohibited by law) and is not to be removed for any reason.
- Per the Home Computer Form you signed upon receipt of the device:
- In the event the iPad is destroyed or lost you are responsible for immediately notifying your supervisor and IT Services who will notify Risk Management and Inventory Services. If stolen you are responsible for immediately notifying your supervisor, the local Police Department, and IT Services who will notify Risk Management and Inventory Services.
- All App purchases with State funds will go through IT Services via Curtis Carr, after approval through the normal ULFS process. IT Services has purchased vouchers on behalf of the Library to use on the Volume Purchase Program. Please submit your App purchase to the Systems App Store vendor in ULFS for processing. Funds will be transferred from your department back to IT Services upon reconciling of these purchases.
- Two Profiles will be installed on all Library owned iPads. These are not to be removed nor are the devices to be unenrolled from the Mobile Device Management (MDM) server without direct permission from IT Services. The profile controls certain aspects of the device that are deemed warranted for the security of data on the device.
- If you have a 3G/4G-LTE device, you may pay for your own 3G/4G-LTE service without any possibility of reimbursement but if you wish the Library to pay then it is required that you purchase an authorized State contract with AT&T or Verizon (contact IT Services for more details). This decision must be made before the iPad is purchased.
- The Library will not be responsible for any personal data that may be on the device.
- From time to time software updates will be required and it is the responsibility of the user to do these updates per instructions provided here or via email:
- iTunes needs to be updated anytime the system requests you to do so;
- iOS updates will be tested by IT Services and when it is deemed safe an email will be sent out authorizing the update as well as sharing any pertinent information that is needed;
- Due to security risks the user is responsible for getting the updates loaded in a timely manner (~2 weeks);
- Installing iOS updates prior to authorization may cause problems with the device and is not permitted;
- Library Owned Apps will require your authorization for our MDM server to add or remove temporary ownership of apps/books to your personal iTunes account. This will permit you to update these apps without the assistance of IT Services.
- iPads fall under the Acceptable Use Policy of Virginia Tech (http://www.vt.edu/about/acceptable-use.html). Any violation of the Library’s policies is a violation of the Acceptable Use Policy.
- Currently there is no way to manage the Android devices.
- ITS recommends the use of a strong password with a minimum of 8 characters which includes both upper and lower case, a number, and at least one symbol.
- There is currently no method for purchasing any Android Apps with State funds.